So, what does a couple do when they take a winter off from workamping, having worked seasonally for close to 11 years? Well, to be honest with you, we somewhat miss working, but have settled into a comfortable routine here in Beaufort. What exactly have we been up to, you ask? Well, here goes…
- Quality time spent gazing at the Intracoastal Waterway which is a mere 10 yards – if that – from our front door. We simply watch the boats, and last week we were treated to a dolphin show! A pod of dolphins swam by putting on quite an exhibition – Sea World worthy! And then the other morning we witnessed flying mullet, as the little fellows just kept jumping out of the water. Never a dull moment here on the sea!
- Shrimp pick-up! Our shrimp boat returned, so after we watched several pickup trucks back up to the boat and receive baskets and baskets of shrimp, we went over to the captain and purchased our 10 lbs. of jumbo green tail shrimp. It is delicious and our freezer has never been this full! Feel free to share your shrimp recipes!
- A visit to the Beaufort Farmer’s Market! The market is held every Saturday morning in downtown. Although the growing season is rapidly approaching its end, the market hosted produce, baked goods, beautiful jewelry, and all kinds of artisan crafts. There was even a representative from the Outer Banks Wildlife Refuge who shared a beautiful owl with all in attendance.
- Daily visits to the gym! We try to exercise at least 5 – 6 days a week and have found a home at a local Snap Fitness. Some days it’s like having our own private facility, but we’re beginning to see familiar faces from day to day.
- Weekly ferry trips to Minnesott Country Club for a round of golf! The course is in good shape and challenging, and how often can you experience a short, free ferry ride before and after attacking the links?
- Beautiful days on the beach! I mention that now because we’re not sure how long we will be able to continue this activity! The weather has been gorgeous but temperatures are cooling down this week and who knows what the rest of the month will bring.
- Culinary exploration! You didn’t think that this activity would change, did you? The past weeks we have experienced two locations that came highly recommended. Island Grille is a small farm-to-table restaurant in Atlantic Beach that offers 2-for-one entrees on Mondays and Tuesdays. I chose the Mahi while Bill went with shrimp and scallops.
Saturday night we dined at Aqua in Beaufort in celebration of Bill’s induction into the Susquehanna University Ring of Honor for his football coaching contributions! Although the ceremony was virtual, our celebratory dinner was the real thing! Known for their tapas and small plates, after tasting a chef’s treat of mandarin mousse with goat cheese and granola, we shared a unique Caesar salad, petite filet and a crab cake. Oh yes, we couldn’t pass up a chocolate tort, and our server, Hannah, treated us to a bottle of prosecco to continue the good times!
- Real estate investigation! We continue to explore various areas and homes on the market. You never know when you’re going to find that hidden gem!
So, as you can see, our days are fun-filled and low-keyed, just the way we like it! Who knows what this next week will bring, but whatever it is we’re ready!
Stay Calm and Travel On…